Sunday, 7 August 2016

B.E.D.A. Day 7: My Complete Highlighter Collection + Reviews

Hello everyone!

Highlighter is a big trend right now, and I'll admit that it's one I've really gotten into over the last few months.  I own quite a few highlighters, more than I need to be honest, and today I want to talk you through them and tell you which ones are worth your money and which ones are not.


I'll start with the highlighter from the e.l.f. contour quad.  This is actually pretty good! It's very subtle, so I use a Real Techniques setting brush to pack this on, but it gives a very lit-from-within glow that isn't glittery (I hate glitter in my highlights).

The whole quad is really good (see my review HERE), and retails for a measly $6.


This product is confusing.  It's the Wet n Wild Colour Icon bronzer in the shade Reserve Your Cabana.  It's... definitely not a bronzer.  That said, I don't think it's a good highlighter either.  This is less than a subtle highlight, it's practically non-existent.  If I want a highlight, this product is not going to give it to me.

I think I paid $9 for this, but I wouldn't recommend it.


Now here's a drugstore highlight I like.

This is the Hard Candy Backed Highlighter Duo in the shade Lit Up.  This has a more yellow-toned highlight on one side, and a pink-toned highlight on the other.  I mix these together with a fan brush and pop it on the high points of my cheeks for the perfect glow.  It's not overly glitterly, it's another shade that is almost lit-from-within, but amped up a bit.  I have a full review of this HERE if you want more information.


Here's another Hard Candy product I use as highlighter, even though it's actually one of their baked blushes in the shade Honeymoon.

This is a great pink-toned highlight. It has veins of lavender running through it too, and lavender brightens your complexion.  This one does err slightly more towards the glittery side, and it certainly packs a punch.  I highly recommend this.

This cost me $8 and I've had it for years.  It lasts forever. 


This is the Wet n Wild Mega Glo Illuminating Palette in Catwalk Pink.  I actually just did a full review on this, so I'll link it HERE and talk about it really quickly.

This is a BAM! IN-YOUR-FACE highlight that doesn't quit.  If I want glow, this is where I go.  This is definitely more glittery, but it still looks beautiful.  I apply this with a fan brush because it can get really intense really quickly if you don't.  And, this lasts all day.  It cost me around $10 and is by far the most used highlighter in my collection.


This is the cult-classic Champagne Pop by BeccaxJaclyn Hill.  This is f*cking expensive.  There.  I said it.

I have to admit, my opinion on this product has changed a lot since I bought it.  It was the first high-end highlighter I ever bought, and I feel like I tried to see all the good in it because it cost SO much money.

Now, I have to admit, I wish I hadn't spent my cash on it.

I find it far too glittery, to the point where I feel like I look like I've slapped glitter on my face.  It's not a flattering look.  The colour is nice, but the formula is not.  I find it too sparkly, erring on the side of a vampire from Twilight.  I've found much cheaper products I like a lot better, as much as it hurts me to say it.


And then we've got this fella.  This is the essence contour powder duo in 01 light.  The highlight in here is actually really nice.  I've got a review post on this too HERE.

It is a little glittery, but not too bad, and it looks really nice on the cheekbones.  It's not my favourite, partially because I don't like glitter that much, but if youre looking for an affordable product it doesn't get better than this.  This retails for $5, and you get two great products.

I hope you found this helpful in your quest for the perfect highlighter.  Let me know your favourite highlighting products in the comments below!

xoxo
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment