Saturday, 5 September 2015

How To Save $$$ on Textbooks

It's that time of year again...

Back to school rolls around, and suddenly every University and College student is paying their tuition.  And just when the bank account depletes to zero... the booklist comes out.


Textbooks are probably the bane of my existence.  I usually have to buy three per class, at over $50 a pop, and let me tell you, my bank account SUFFERS.

However, I've developed a few little tricks to save money on my books, and today I'm going to share them with you.


1) Don't buy from the school bookstore.
Seriously.  Chapters-Indigo and Amazon are going to be your best friend here.  The campus bookstores are always more expensive, and even when they list a used book for cheap they rarely have it in stock.  You can order your books off of other sites and save money, and often you get free shipping (so you aren't spending the money you save on the shipping costs!)


2) Buy used.
Used books can be found everywhere, you just need to look.  There are Facebook pages dedicated to selling used textbooks, troll those like your bank account depends on it.  I've gotten textbooks off of these site for 60% less than they would have costed me elsewhere.

There are also websites dedicated to selling used books.  Check these out, but just be aware that sometimes shipping costs can be more than the book itself, or they may be coming from a distance and not arrive on time.


3) Don't buy them.
Okay, bear with me.

I have just not bought my textbooks on several occasions.  In fact, I'm saving $500 this year by not buying my books.

That isn't to say I'm not doing my readings.  I'm making my life harder, and forcing myself to be a more dedicated student in fact.  Because I'm using the library reserve copies.

Every campus library will have your textbooks.  When you end up with a $200 whopper of a book that you can't afford, consider just going to the library and reading it there.  The extra time and effort is worth the money you save.

That's all from me today.  If you have any money-saving tips, please leave them in the comments below!

xoxo
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment