Wednesday, 26 August 2015

B.E.D.A. Day 26: Babbling Book Review: The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry

Hello everyone!


I recently read this amazing book, and had to talk about it on here for you!  You all know by now that I love to read, and I hadn't had any books really grab me for awhile, but then I read this one.

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry was actually recommended to me by my mom, and she loaned me her copy to read.  It wasn't a particularly challenging book, but it had that little spark that keeps you interested until the last page.

A brief synopsis: A.J. Fikry owns a bookstore on a small island.  His wife has died, leaving him bitter and old before his time.  The townsfolk dislike him, and his reclusive behaviour doesn't help to endear him to anyone.  However, a series of events dramatically change the path his life had been on, and he goes through a massive character transformation.

I blew through this book in less than two days.  It's pretty short, but it's engaging.  The characters are so life-like and real, they actually have personalities and they come out as 3D in the reading of this book.  The story itself follows the cliched path of character transformation and redemption, but the actual events themselves are so unique that it doesn't come across as pandering.


(P.S. This is my favourite quote from the book.)

I actually gave this book to a coworker to read, and she loved it as well.  So between myself, my mother, and Rebecca, there's a three-person seal of approval for The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry!


xoxo
Laura

Subscribe to my YouTube channel for new videos every Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment