Wednesday, 19 August 2015

B.E.D.A. Day 19: Your Makeup Starter Kit

Hey everyone!

When you're starting off with makeup, unless you've got a mother/sister/other figure who knows what they're doing, it can be a daunting task.  My mom isn't really into makeup, so I got a crash-course from my dance instructors (0/10 do not recommend).  Over time, YouTube and Seventeen magazine taught me that blue and purple eyeshadow is not the be-all-end-all (or the AT ALL).

I hope this is helpful to anyone reading this who is just starting off with makeup and wants a few basic products to try out.  The goal here is to help you discover products that enhance your natural beauty, not to help you cover yourself up.  Just remember that no matter what, you are beautiful and makeup should never be used to cover that up <3


I'm not a big advocate of foundation, especially when you're just starting off with makeup.  Chances are, you're young and have beautiful skin anyway.  Even I don't wear foundation upwards of 50% of the time.  I personally would recommend instead a light to medium coverage powder instead.  This will allow your skin to breathe while reducing shine and evening out  your skin tone a little bit.  Physician's Formula makes great pressed powders, and while they can be a little bit more expensive, it's still cheaper than buying a powder and foundation.  Another great option is The Body Shop's Extra Virgin Minerals powder.


If you want a little bit of concealer for zits or discolouration, the Maybelline Fit Me concealer is fabulous.  It's very creamy, has great coverage, and isn't expensive.


I wouldn't recommend bronzer in a first makeup kit, but blush is something that I would include.  I really like the essence blushers because they are only $3 each but really good quality.  The trick is always finding the right colour for your skin tone.  If you go to Shopper's Drugmart, the person working the cosmetics section is always useful for helping sort that out.


Moving to eyes, I highly recommend the Maybelline The Nudes Palette for anyone starting off in makeup.  There are a variety of matte and shimmer shades that are really nicely pigmented.  This is a great way to start playing around with eye shadow while not looking like a clown (like I did.)  Definitely avoid coloured eye shadows when you're first starting off with makeup.


For eyeliner, I find soft pencils to be the easiest to use, and I have a ton of recommendations.  The Annabelle Smoothliners are amazing, and so are the Rimmel Kohl Kajals.  The Covergirl Perfect Point Plus eyeliners are also great, and you don't run the risk of creating a really thick line immediately (they also don't need to be sharpened, unlike the other two).  All are pigmented and creamy, and have good lasting power.  I would recommend going for a black or dark brown shade to start off with.


As for mascara, I 100% recommend Maybelline's Volum Express The Falsies.  The product itself is great, but the best part is that there is a separate wand for doing bottom lashes, which even I still find to be tricky to get right with a regular brush.


Last step is lips, and this is where things get tricky.  Some people would want to include lipstick, some wouldn't.  For those who say no to lipstick, I recommend a tinted lipbalm instead.  The Maybelline BabyLips are great, especially the Cherry and Peach flavours.  It's a super subtle wash of colour, but moisturizing at the same time (and tastes great!).


For people who are okay with something more like lipstick, the Revlon lip butters are the way to go.  There are a ton of shades to choose from, the pigmentation is just right for young girls, and they aren't expensive.  They are also really moisturizing and don't "settle" into your lips or bleed all over your face.  I have a handful of these and love them.

That's all I have to say for products, but if you're looking for makeup brush recommendations, I would suggest the Real Techniques brushes.  These aren't expensive, especially for the quality you get. The Core Collection and Eye Starter Set are $20 each, and have basically everything you could ever need.  I will say, brushes are essential to getting makeup to look nice, so please don't skimp on them.

I hope this was helpful!  Pass this along to the ladies in your life that are looking to start dabbling in makeup!

xoxo
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment