Saturday, 11 April 2015

Review: Olay Fresh Effects Va-Va-Vivid Powered Contour Cleansing System

Hello everyone!


I was in Shopper's Drugmart and decided to pick up the Olay Va-va-vivid Powered Contour Cleansing System.  I have no desire to drop the money on a Clarisonic, but I was wondering if I could find a good, cheap alternative.  This is under $20, and I'm really hoping it can give me a good, deep clean.

What It Promises
On the box, it says that this system:

1) Is designed to fit into facial contours, giving a thorough cleanse of the whole face

2) Liberates skin from dirt, oil, and makeup giving a deep cleanse of the skin.

3) Super-soft bristles gently massage the skin without irritating it.

In addition, the brush can be used in the shower, but cannot be submerged in water (as it is battery powered).  I definitely like that it can go in the shower, as that's where I wash my face half the time.

Contents
In the kit, I received the battery-powered cleansing brush, a tube of Shine Minimizing Cleanser, and a AAA battery (which is required to run the brush).


Packaging
Once I finally managed to get into the box (it was sealed pretty tight), I was able to take a look at the product itself.  It was in plastic packaging so it wouldn't move around, 

The thing I like about the Fresh Effects line is that it looks really clean and fresh, just like the promises of the products.  The tube of cleanser is pretty standard, in a white plastic squeezy tube.  There's 20mL, which is a good amount to test out before you decide if you want to buy it or not.

The brush itself is teeny tiny.  The handle is a little small for my tastes, but it's not awful. The blue and white looks really pretty and, again, fresh and clean.  

I definitely like the packaging.  It's nothing special, but it isn't hard on the eyes either.  It isn't something that will be put away in a drawer because it's too ugly to look at.


Price
For the price, I think this is okay.  The fact that batteries are included makes me very happy.  I got the system for $13, so I would recommend picking it up on sale if you can, just because the size of the unit and of the cleanser isn't very big.  That being said, if it works it will 100% be worth the money.

But does it?

Performance
The bristles on the powered system.
The first thing I noticed about this were the rubber bristles, and I became wary.  Rubber might not be super gentle on the skin, and that freaked me out a little bit.  The head though is triangular and nice and small, definitely something that could fit into the contours of my face, and I have a small face.

The cleanser smelled alright, nothing too offensive.  The whole line is very heavily scented, so if you don't like that then I wouldn't recommend it to you.

This is what the cleanser looks like.
Since it comes with a cleanser, in my initial testing I used that with the powered system.  After a week, I did try out the system with my favourite cleanser (which is also from Olay).  It says to apply the cleanser directly onto the bristles, but I DO NOT recommend this.  Dot the cleanser onto your damp face, then use the brush with a little water on it, otherwise it drags on the skin and can really hurt.

The first couple of tries, I noticed my skin was so much softer.  I really liked the vibrating, because my skin felt like it was getting clean.  On Day 3, I noticed I had a little raw spot on the top of my cheeks, but if you don't brush really vigorously this is avoided (I was pressing too hard and focussing too much on one spot.)

I have now been using this system for 2 weeks, and I have really good things to say about it!  My face is so clean and my skin looks a lot better.  This really did help to even out my skin tone and make my skin look glowing.  I have gotten rid of dry patches and discolouration, and those pesky zits that lurk under the surface of your skin have, for the most part, come to the top and then disappeared.

There's something about this that really does work.  I wouldn't recommend it for sensitive skin, just because the bristles aren't super gentle, but for normal skin types this is great.  I love going to bed at night knowing that my skin is clean.  And, as promised, the brush really does get into every little space, something I thought would be a total gimmick.

Overall, I would recommend this.  I really like the powered system, and I have used in the shower too, so I have tested the waterproof claim.  I wasn't a massive fan of the cleanser, but there is no reason why you can't use a cleanser that you know works for you instead of the one that comes with the system.  I think it's a good price for the results, and it does a really nice job!

I'll see you soon with another post!

xoxo
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment