Monday, 9 February 2015

Tutorial: Sultry Valentine's Day Makeup Using The Smokes Palette

Hello everyone!

The Smokes Palette from Maybelline
Shades Used:
Top row- Black, Champagne, and Purple (all side-by-side)
Today's post is a tutorial, specifically a super sexy, sultry look for Valentine's Day (which is creeping up soon!)  For this look, I have used The Smokes palette from Maybelline.  I really like this palette, I think it has something for everyone and a great variety of shade to create a ton of looks.

Let's get on with it, shall we?


So I'm going to start with the eyes, as dark shades tend to have a ton of fall down that is super noticeable if it gets in your foundation.  I'm going to prime with the Hard Candy eye primer, and then hop right in.


I'm going to start with a transition shade, and for this I'm using the shimmery champagne colour in the palette.  I know transition shades should be matte, but I love this for adding a little extra something to the eyes.


Using a flat shading brush, I'm going to pack this deep, matte purple onto the lid, and use a fluffy brush dipped in the champagne shade to blend it out.  This involves a lot of building up and blending out, but be patient, it's worth it.  This is when a little bit of MAC Fix+ is a godsend.


Next, I'm using a pencil brush to take the midnight black with silver glitter through the outer corner and crease.  I'm using a fluffy brush dipped in the purple to blend this out.  This, again, is a very blending-laborious job but WORTH IT!

I'm going to move on to skin now that I have the basic eye done, then come back.


Obviously, I'm going to prime with my Hard Candy Sheer Envy Perfecting Primer.  I'm basically in love with this.

Major derp face going on here...
For the face, I'm doing my concealer first, and using the Covergirl Fresh Complexion concealer under my eyes to clean up the lines of the eye shadows, and conceal dark circles.  Then I'm using the Rimmel Wake Me Up foundation as my base and applying it with a buffing brush from Real Techniques.



Pardon the white spot on my face, it's from the flash.
I'm going to use a flat brush from a face powder compact to apply my contour and blend it out slightly to keep it strong.  Any completely matte shade will do, mine is from a palette and isn't labelled unfortunately.  Then I'm using a stippling brush to apply the Wet n Wild blush in Pearlescent Pink.  Then I like to put a little bit of translucent powder on the t-zone to keep it from getting oily.

Skin: done.  Back to the eyes.



I'm going to use the Maybelline Brow Drama in Light Brown to tame those monstrosities.  This product is great! I have really thick, dark brows naturally, they just need... taming.


To finish up the eyes, I'm using the L'Oreal Lineur Intense in Carbon Black to do a mid-sized winged liner.  I don't want it to look ridiculous, but I want it to be noticeable.  Whether you line the lower waterline is up to you, when I show you the finished look I'll have both so you can compare.  It's all about preference.


Then I'm going to go under the lower lash line with the purple, and blend it out with a pencil brush dipped in the champagne shade.


LASHES!  You can apply falsies if you prefer, I just use the L'Oreal Miss Manga mascara and it works fine for me!


Aaaand lips.  I've just got a Maybelline lipstick in Warm Me Up.  For this look, I really want a nude/my lips but better shade and this is exactly that.


If you want to add black liner on the waterline, this is what it will look like.  This is, as everything, up to your personal preference.  I usually would leave it, but for this look I really like it.

It is stupidly difficult to photograph yourself.
So here's the finished look!  I hope you enjoy, I'll be doing a 'sweet' look in the next few days so stay tuned!

xoxo
Laura

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love getting your comments, they're always so lovely :) <3

      Delete