Saturday, 21 February 2015

Review: MAC's Retro Matte Lipstick in Ruby Woo

Hello everyone!

So recently I splurged and bought myself my FIRST EVER lipstick from MAC.  I know, I'm very late to the party on this one.


I bought Ruby Woo, the ultra-hyped, super matte, universal red.  Of so I have heard.  But does it really do all of these things?

Let's talk about it for a second.

The price, with tax, worked out to just under $22 CAN.  This seemed very pricey to me, and I deliberated for a solid 30 minutes (the sales lady thought I was nuts).  The packaging though, is great.  I love that it's so sleek, and everything about black packaging makes me happy.  It's also a great size for handbags and won't get beat up and gross looking.

The first thing I noticed about the product itself is the smell. Does anyone else think it smells like vanilla sugar cookies?!  Instant bonus for someone with a sweet tooth!


Applying this was... interesting.  I had read that it was insanely difficult to apply, which I don't necessarily agree with but I can see where people are coming from.  This definitely doesn't glide onto the lips, and I did use a lip brush to apply this perfectly.  That being said, I found it really easy to blend out.

The colour is amazing.  I don't find it too yellow or too blue, just a perfect, true red.  It is SO matte, but it doesn't feel dry or heavy.  I actually couldn't even tell I was wearing lipstick, which never happens.

As for wear, I was totally blown away by this.  I wore it to the movies (complete with popcorn and soda) and it didn't budge.  Not an inch.  And I didn't use a lipliner.

I thought this was a fluke.  Honestly.  But then I went out for dinner and drinks, and put it through it's paces and got the same result.  It wore off a little bit, but not so that it looked faded or patchy.  It was so minimal I didn't feel the need to touch up after eating and drinking.  This didn't transfer onto my straw either.

I did a slight reapplication about three hours after the initial one to go to the bar, and after dancing and drinking (water.  I promise.  I was self-appointed babysitter) it hadn't moved.  Still no lipliner, and only one small touch up over the course of about 7 hours.


I am shocked.  This beat all of my expectations, and I completely understand why everyone raves about MAC lipsticks.  I have already planned out which one will be my next splurge (Fanfare.  OMG it's so pretty...) and I am never buying another brand's lipstick.  I am officially a convert!

I hope this helped anyone contemplating buying this.  I cannot say enough good things about it.  I'm very glad I finally decided to treat myself!

xoxo
Laura

***Just to compare, I put Ruby Woo next to Rimmel by Kate Moss shade 01***

(Just for anyone who wants to compare a close drugstore option)

No comments:

Post a Comment