Tuesday, 20 January 2015

Makeup Collection Part 4: Palettes

Welcome back to my Makeup Collection series!

Today's focus is on my palettes.  I've classified these as any large palette with over 4 pieces inside, be it eyeshadow or a combo of products.

Let's start shall we!


I'm going to start with this huge palette from Markwins Beauty.  This is the Bel Amour Elegant palette, and I honestly got this for about $12.  I think it was a holiday special or something, and they had so many left over that the price was slashed.  There are a variety of cream and powder eyeshadows in a ton of colours, although it is lacking a red and a yellow (neither of which I use, so I don't really miss them too much).  There are also 6 blushes, 4 powders, and 16 lip glosses (which I don't use if I'm being honest.)  I just like this for doing something different with my makeup.  The shadows aren't super pigmented, and you need a good primer to keep them from creasing, but for how often I use it I'm really happy with it.  The blushes are gorgeous!  They have good pigmentation, I really like them.


I also have this e.l.f. palette, the Smoky Look Beauty Book, which had a primer, eyeliner, and applicator in it as well when I bought it.  The 6 eyeshadows are really nice, very pigmented and a great size.  I like that there are 3 mattes and 3 shimmers, but you can use them all interchangeably or with shadows outside of the palette. I don't like how much packaging there is around said products... total pet peeve.


This is a Hard Candy palette in Green With Envy that I bought from Walmart.  I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of this, and I definitely don't use the shadows on their own.  I need a good primer, and I prefer to use shades outside of the palette to keep it from creasing too much. There are 10 eyeshadows, and I really like all of the colours, but the payoff is just not there.  I wouldn't really recommend this palette to you guys.


Here, however, is a drugstore palette I would 100% recommend.  This is The Nudes palette from Maybelline.  There are 12 shadows in here, a mix of mattes and shimmers, and all of them are a decent size.  I think the colour payoff could be better, BUT they are buildable and a little bit of water helps improve colour payoff too.  I love that there are such a variety of shades in here, I've done sultry/smoky looks and really neutral looks.  I even use two of the shades to do my brows!  For $12 this is a fabulous palette, and I really want to get my hands on The Smokes and The Brights palettes soon!

Now I have two limited-edition palettes, both from Quo.  As a little dislaimer, I just want to say that they do this style of palette every year, so these aren't completely out of your reach.


The first is the oldest, and that is the Quo Treasure Box.  This has 24 eyeshadows, 8 lip glosses, 4 blushes/bronzers, and 2 powders (and a GIANT mirror on the lid).  As with the Bel Amour palette, I never use the lip glosses, although they have been swatched.  I mostly use the eyeshadows, but the bottom of the palette is okay too.  I do find with this palette the eyeshadows aren't very pigmented and are very powdery.


That being said, I got the Quo Beauty Clutch this year and I find the quality much better (maybe they've reformulated?)  It also has the giant mirror, but there are 8 large eyeshadows instead of 24 tiny ones.  There are 4 mattes and 4 shimmers.  Then you twist the top layer to the side to expose the second shelf, which has 3 cream eyeliners, a blush, a bronzer, and a contour shade.  This also came with 3 brushes, one of which was double-ended.

I love everything about this palette.  The blush is amazing, the eyeshadows are really pigmented and blend like a dream, and the contour shade is perfect for me.  The bronzer is great too, it adds the perfect amount of warmth to my face.  Even the cream eyeliners are great, and those were the part I thought I would hate (I haven't liked cream eyeliners in the past).  A+ to this palette!


My final palette is my MAC palette, which my goal is to fill this year.  I currently have 7 shades in there, Mulch, Tempting, Amber Lights, Mythology, Cranberry, Sable, and Patina.  These are so amazing, the pigmentation is out of this world, and they are a dream to blend.  I really want to fill this up so I can enjoy it more!

That's all for my palettes, I'll see you in a few days with Part 5: my regular eyeshadows!

xoxo
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment