Saturday, 20 December 2014

First Semester Empties (And Mini Reviews)

Hey everyone!

I rarely have empties, it takes a very long time to collect them up, so I very rarely have Product Empties posts.  However, I've recently decided I'm going to do a little post at the end of each semester with mini reviews of every product I've used up. I hope you enjoy it! It's mostly face/body care, but there are a few makeup bits and other things thrown in too.

Luckily, I've really enjoyed using most of these products, so hopefully you get some ideas for new things to try out!

Makeup
I don't know why, but I don't go through makeup products that quickly.  I do have a few empties to show you, but not many.


The first cosmetic item I have used up is the e.l.f. eyelid primer.  I LOVE this, it does an amazing job of keeping shadows in place all day.  It's also incredibly cheap, and I'm 99% sure you can buy it at Target as well as online (if you have a credit card).  I have repurchased this, and would suggest you buy one too if you're looking for an amazing eyelid primer!


I also used up the L'Oreal Voluminous mascara and I was so glad when I did.  I didn't like this, I found it got all over my face, flaked off, and just generally didn't stay on.  When it was on, it looked clumpy and didn't separate my lashes.  I loved this when I first got it, but it deteriorated to one of my most hated products really quickly.

Face and Body



Up first in the Face and Body category is the Dove Cool Moisture body wash in the Cucumber and Green Tea scent.  I really enjoyed this, I liked the scent and it lathers up really well.  I switch between shower gels daily and am always trying new ones, so while I may or may not buy this again, I do recommend it.


I have also used up the deodorant in the matching scent.  I think I had one of these in my last empty products post as well.  I've used this almost continuously for a couple of years, I really like it.


Let's just get the hygiene products out of the way.  I've used up my favourite toothpaste, the Colgate Cavity Protection toothpaste in the Winterfresh flavour. I've used this for as long as I can remember, it doesn't taste gross like other toothpastes which  is why I like it.  It's also super cheap, under $2 a tube... (I'm a student, cut me some slack!)


For makeup remover, I've used up this Guinot One-Step Cleansing Water.  I hated this.  It left my skin feeling sticky and tight, and the scent was so overpowering and fake.  It also stung my eyes, even though it says it's suitable for taking off eye makeup.  I also didn't find it did that great of a job.  I wouldn't recommend this at all.


I have also (finally) used up this 56 pack of Balea facial wipes.  I adore these, they are the best wipes I have ever used.  They can be a little pricey, but I always buy them when they're on sale at Shopper's Drugmart. 10/10, highly recommend.


I got given a pack of Simple facial wipes as well.  I didn't like these as well as the Balea ones, mostly because of the smell. On the upside, these aren't as dry as the Balea ones.  I would recommend these, but not as highly.


I have also used up an actual face wash, because face wipes are NOT the same thing people!  This is the St. Ive's apricot scrub, which has little bits of ground walnuts.  I found this effective, but very harsh.  Towards the end, I started using it to exfoliate my legs before I shaved, which it is also very good for.  In the future, I'm going to buy a small travel size for when I need a really harsh exfoliant, and something less harsh for bi-weekly exfoliating.  It left my skin feeling a little raw and looking a little red, not good signs.


This teeny guy is a sample size of the Clinique Acne Solutions Clinical Clearing Gel.  I liked this so much I bought the full size, even though it's on the more expensive side.  This gets rid of pesky zits so quickly.  I apply it at night directly to spots, let it dry, them moisturize.  By the time i wake up, it's like nothing was ever there.  I also apply this all over the face in a thin layer under my moisturizer if I'm having a really difficult time with my skin.  Again, I highly recommend this.  If you can get your hands on a sample, they last for a really long time and there's enough in there to give you a good idea of whether or not you will like it.


Also in the vein of facial care, I used up my tub of the Andalou Naturals Probiotic + C facial moisturizer.  I've already bought another one of this, I think it is an amazing moisturizer and I love that it smells like oranges!


You would know this if you follow my Bought It, Forgot It series, but I used up the LUSH Dream Cream Lotion in November.  I loved the formula and scent of this, and for the price it actually lasts a long time because you don't need to use very much.  It sinks into the skin beautifully and feels like a very luxurious product.  I've washed out the container and kept it, because if you bring 5 back you get a free face mask (and this one makes 5!)


I debated whether or not to include this, and decided to because I think it's so great.  This is the Equate nail polish remover, and it is probably the best nail polish remover I have EVER used.  It cleans polish off in no time at all.  I think this is a Walmart purchase, and the little bottle (which is more than enough for me) is only a couple bucks.


Also from Equate, I used up a tube of cotton rounds.  Again, the Equate ones are the best.  I hate it when cotton pads disintegrate on your face when you're trying to get off your eye makeup, and this doesn't do that.  They're also super cheap, $3 for a tube of 125.  I use these for almost everything, so it's great that they are inexpensive and of good quality.

Hair
I'm not much of a hair product person, but I do have a couple empties.


First up is the Batiste dry shampoo for deep to dark brown hair.  I liked it, I thought it did a really good job of soaking up oil and refreshing my hair.  That being said, it was a little bit dark for me, especially after I lightened my hair.   This also left a brown powder residue on my hands and hair brush.  I did like this, and would recommend it.  If you have a dry or sensitive scalp however, skip it.  This will only make the dryness and itchiness worse.


I have a shampoo I've used up as well, the Garnier Pure Clean shampoo.  This is paraben, sulfate, silicone, and dye free, and 92% biodegradable.  I like the scent, I like the lather, and I've used this shampoo for the last 8 months of so, I think this is my 3rd bottle.  That said, I've bought something else now that this is used up, because my hair gets used to shampoos and then looks like a greasy mess.  But I think I'll go back to this at some point.


I have also used up a conditioner.  This is my usual Prairie Naturals hypoallergenic Arctic Sun conditioner.  I've been using this for years, it leaves my hair so soft and shiny and healthy.  I'll be repurchasing this when I'm home next, I can only buy it in my hometown for some reason, I've never seen it anywhere else.

Other

I used up my favourite candle I've ever had this semester, the Vanilla Chai candle from Bath & Body Works.  This was sweet but spicy and just smelled so nice.  I'm really sad I used it up!


I also used up a whole bottle of Fleecy fabric softener.  My mom used to use this when I was little, so the smell reminds me of home, but it also leaves my clothes so soft and completely free of static.  I've bought another one, I just love it (and I hate scratchy clothes).

So there are all of the products I used up over the last four months.  For the most part, I have liked these products and would definitely buy them again (some of them I have!)

That's all from me today, I'll be back soon with more posts!

xoxo
Laura

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the follow on Twitter, dear! I like finding fellow bloggers.
    This is an interesting compilation of makeup and beauty products. There are quite a few brand I don't use at all and others which I love myself :)

    Shall we follow each other on Bloglovin as well? I would love to.

    Lu | http://www.balgarka.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just followed you :) Hope you enjoy my blog xx

      Delete