Tuesday, 5 August 2014

Beda Day 5: How To Clean Makeup Brushes

Hello all!

Today's post is something I've never done before.  I'm going to show you how I clean my makeup brushes.  I know everyone does this a little differently, so this is my way.  Let me know any easier ways down in the comments!


Most days when I clean my brushes, I have a sort of 3-step process.


I start by spraying the bristles with a brush cleanser.  For a long time I used the Quo one, but I just purchased the Kit makeup brush cleanser recently and have been using that.  Both are alcohol-based, and definitely smell that way!


After I've sprayed the bristles, I rub them in a circular or back-and-forth motion on a piece of kitchen towel.  This works best because it won't disintegrate if you're vigorous.


Then I dip the brush into some warm water to rinse it and blot it on another piece of kitchen towel to make sure it's perfectly clean.


If my brush won't come clean after repeating this process a couple of times, I move on to heavy duty and dip it into an eye makeup remover.  This gets brushes clean almost immediately, but it's a little too expensive to do right away.  For the more budget-friendly people, a little bit of elbow grease works just as well.


I then dry my brushes upside-down in the Real Techniques brush stands.  I can usually fit all of my brushes into the two I have.

Now, once a month or so I give my brushes a deep clean and for that I like to use a mild disinfecting soap or shampoo.  I've used Dawn and Baby shampoo for this.  I work it deep into damp brushes and rinse under warm running water.  Again, I dry them upside-down afterwords so that the water doesn't run down and destroy the glue.

And there you go! I hope this helped.  I try to wash my brushes once a week, always once every two weeks.  If I'm using bright shadows, I will even wash my eye brushes right after use.

Until next time,
xoxo Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment