Monday, 18 August 2014

B.E.D.A. Day 17: Period Q&A

Hope this isn't too TMI for you all!

Essie and Amelia did an AMAZING video HERE on periods and such, and I think it's a great idea to share your own experiences for those who are questioning whether what is happening to them is normal or not.

This isn't a tag, but if you feel like doing it too I highly encourage it!

So, here we go!

First period story?
Mine isn't too dramatic or anything.  I got my first period in grade 8 gym class.  My teacher was a male, which was a little traumatizing.  Luckily, my mom had prepared me at the beginning of the school year with an 'emergency' kit, so I had pads at the ready.  It's strange how I can vividly remember that day, it wasn't a big deal though!

What annoys you? Do you have mood swings?
Literally everything annoys me at that time of the month.  I am very easily annoyed when I'm on my period.  Working sucks because I want to smack everyone.  It's the little, stupid things that are the worst.  I do have really bad mood swings, but usually it's just me being angry, I don't get weepy or the extreme happy to extreme sad.  I deal with them by isolating myself when I get to that point of extreme annoyance.  When I know I am going to snap, I take a step back, literally.

Period outfit?
I like to be comfortable but still look nice.  Usually that means my favourite jeans, which are super soft and comfortable, and a flowing shirt or nice sweater.  If it's a bad day I go for a sweatshirt.

Favourite food?
Give me chocolate or salts and I'm the happiest camper.  McDonald's fries tend to be my go-to, along with Cadbury buttons.

How do you fight food cravings?
A lot of the time i just indulge, but in small amounts.  If it's been difficult and I've overindulged, I find going to the gym and having a power walk on the treadmill to be beneficial.  It really fights the cravings, and relieves cramps.  I also feel really good after, when I usually feel gross when I'm on my period.

(This one isn't in the Q&A video, but I thought it was important.)

Cramps? How do you deal with them?
I do get cramps, but it took a long time for me to figure out how to deal with them.  The trick is to find out what works for you.  Midol is great, always have a stash of that or Advil, whatever works best for your body.  If you need to lie in bed all day with a hot water bottle, so be it.  Make yourself comfortable.  If you find that you can't function normally, go see a doctor, you might need to be on medication.  Basically, you just need to relieve the pain and indulge yourself so that you are comfortable.

I don't know if that was helpful, it seemed like a good idea.  Let me know!
xoxo Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment