Saturday, 2 August 2014

B.E.D.A. Day 1: Draw My Life

Hello everyone!


As you know by now, my name is Laura.  I was born on September 22nd, 1995.  I also draw like a 5-year old, so get ready for this!


I'm the oldest of 2 children. 3 years and 51 weeks EXACTLY after I was born, my brother, Ben, was born to make up our happy family of 4.  Growing up, my parents have always been amazing.  We used to go camping every summer and I'm very lucky to have seen a good deal of my beautiful country.


In preschool, I had the most amazing experience.  My mom couldn't stay on maternity leave for longer than six months, so I got to go to day care! My caregiver (NOT babysitter!) was amazing, she always did crafts with us and took us on the town bus to the library for story time.  She had a dog named Indy.  I still see her every once in awhile, she had a huge, positive impact on my life.


My best friends growing up were both boys.  We met at daycare, and all ended up going to the same elementary school later on.  My other friend wasn't from daycare, she was the daughter of a couple my parents were friends with.  We got along really well, and were best friends throughout elementary school, up until I moved.


My first elementary school was great! I had amazing teachers and I loved learning.  Some stand-outs were my kindergarten teacher and my grade 4 teacher.  I wasn't popular by any means, but I wasn't picked on either.  Mostly I just felt left out a lot, but I had a couple friends so never worried about it too much.


In grade 6, I moved.  We went from our rather small house to what seemed like a HUGE old farmhouse (but not on a farm!)  The funny part is, my parents had given up looking for a new house, when my friend's mom told them about this place at a birthday party I was at.  The next day, my parents took my brother and I to see it and my mom drove into the ditch!  To be fair, it was the end of January and it gets very snowy where I live (yay Canada!)  The man who would be our future neighbor had to pull us out.


My new school wasn't as good as my old school.  It was very cliquey and I didn't feel like I belonged.  Just because I had to make things worse for myself, I went through a seriously awkward stage where I wore baggy clothes and didn't talk much.  I wasn't comfortable in my own skin at all, and everyone else could tell.


However, I did make some good friends.  One girl, Emma, I am friends with to this day despite some major fighting that happened in high school.  It just goes to show that some friends really are for life.


Growing up, I was very active.  I played soccer from a very young age, and I was an Irish dancer.  I got to go to Niagara Falls and compete in a HUGE competition in grade 7 and 8.  I didn't do very well, but I got my first fancy solo dress and had a blast.

I am also very musical.  I've had extensive classical training on the piano, I played about 3 instruments in my grade 9 music class, and I've taught myself to play the guitar and ukulele.  I love to play and listen to music, it helps me calm down and get out any emotions, positive or negative, that I am feeling.

When high school came, to say everything went downhill sounds like I'm being dramatic, but I'm really not.


Grade 9 was (obviously) the start of it all.  I'd mostly grown out of my awkward phase, and I'd like to think I was fairly normal and a good person.  But a group of girls made it their mission to make fun of me.  I remember one time it happened in class and the teacher ignored it, even though I was clearly upset.  This kind of continued throughout school, with me never feeling like I belonged and getting picked on my girl after girl.  Eventually I found a good group of friends at the end of my grade 12 year and was very happy with them.

Things went very bad in grade 10.  I was very depressed and I started to self-harm.  This is a really dark period of my life, and I don't like to talk about it much.  I'm talking about it here because I want all of you to know that it does get better, and life does start again even though it feels like it has stopped.  I am the happiest I have ever been now, and I look back on that period as something that made me stronger, even if I don't really want to remember it at all.  My biggest piece of advice is to tell someone, when my parents found out that was the first thing they said to me.


In grade 11 I got my first boyfriend.  He was 2 years older, and taking a victory lap at the other high school in my town.  We met backstage at a musical we were both doing stagehand work for, and were together for over a year.  He made me very happy, and helped me feel normal again.  I don't know if he knows how much he helped me.  If he's reading this, hi!


When I walked across the stage at my Commencement with a diploma, a scholarship, and two subject awards, I was proud of myself for overcoming a terrible high school experience.  I won't bore you with everything, I gave you the important details.  But for anyone who is in high school and having a tough time, don't worry.  It ends.


My first year seems like a blur.  I joined my House Council and made some life-long friends (and roommates- Hi Rachel, Brit, Laura and Sam!).  I ended up switching my program so I could double major in both History and Archaeology.  I had some amazing profs, I had some bad profs, but I enjoyed my 8 months so much that I'm going back again in September ;)

So here I am now!  I'm on my summer holiday, waiting to enter 2nd year.  I have 4 amazing roommates and best friends, I'm studying something I love, and I have an amazing family to support me.  I'm blogging, something I wouldn't have seen  myself doing even as recently as a couple of years ago, and although I'm not famous and never will be, I can see the hits growing on my blog, and more and more people following me and reading my content.  You all are amazing, and I want to thank each and every one of you for supporting me <3

Until next time,
xoxo Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment