Saturday, 12 July 2014

First Impression: Andalou Naturals All-In-One Beauty Balm

I'm back with another review!


I've already reviewed the Renewal Cream from the Andalou Naturals Brightening line, but today I'm going to be reviewing the Beauty Balm.  Let's just hop right in shall we?

What is it?
The claims for this product are almost identical to the claims on the Renewal Cream.

The packaging says, "Fruit Stem Cell Complex is the star of this multi-benefit BB, blending superfruit antioxidants, nourishing moisturizers, and broad spectrum  protection with natural mineral-tint color for sheer, flawless coverage in one easy step."  The Fruit Stem Cells (from Malus Domestica Apple and Solar Vitis Grape) are supposed to renew dormant cells, repair damaged cells, and regenerate healthy cells.

This can be worn alone or under other makeup.  It is broad spectrum (UVA and UVB protection), SPF 30, and claims to compliment most skin tones.  As with most sunscreens, this contains zinc oxide, and the instructions say to apply 15 minutes before sun exposure, reapplying as needed.

This is Non-GMO Project verified, which means it contains no genetically modified ingredients.  It is gluten, paraben, sulfate, phthlate and cruelty free.  It is also a vegetarian product, but NOT vegan.  Many of the ingredients are certified organic and/or fair trade.



Review

Packaging
The packaging is cute, although nothing super special.  I like that it keeps with the orange and green colour scheme of the other products in the line.  The tube itself is a clean white with a silver screw on cap.  I don't find the packaging to be anything incredibly eye-catching or special, but I do this it is clean and simple, and something has to be said for simplicity.


I really do love the little quotes on the flap of the outer box! I think it's completely adorable.

Price
I don't think the price of this is too bad, especially considering it is essentially a moisturizer and foundation.  It costs around the $20 mark, which is similar to the pricing of the rest of the range.  You also get 58mLs of product in the tube, which is almost twice as much as a foundation and more than any  moisturizer I've ever used.  Because this is sheer coverage, you don't use very much (it's for good skin days or no makeup days), so I think it will last for awhile.

Performance


What it looks like.
First of all, this smells like oranges.  Yum!  The formula itself is fairly thick and heavy feeling, and yet it feels almost 'whipped'.  I'm not sure how that can be, but that's my impression of it.


I applied this to a clean face as shown above.  I dotted it onto the skin and then blended it onto the rest of my face using my finger tips.  I want to say, that was WAY too much.  I only needed about 2/3 of that, which is how much I have applied upon further use.  Also, this might be better applied with a brush.

The very first thing I noticed was that the formula felt extremely sticky.  This does fade slightly, but doesn't completely go away.  It left my face very shiny as well, which you can kind of see in the photo below, and I personally like a very matte finish.  If you're like me, I recommend blotting it with a loose powder to tone down the dewy effect.  With a little bit of powder, this is the perfect balance between dewy and matte, leaving the skin 'glowing'.  However, I do need to re-powder throughout the day to keep from being too oily.  For people with oily skin, STAY AWAY.


This did even out my skin, although it is very sheer.  My redness was not completely covered, but it was toned down (I have quite a bit of redness right now, so I wasn't expecting this to help at all).  This doesn't cover blemishes or dark spots on your skin, but again, it's very sheer coverage.

There is a slight tint to this when you apply it.  For me, I looked slightly orange when I applied it.  I also noticed that it oxidizes slightly throughout the day, and after about 8 hours I was looking a bit orange. This can change depending on how much you put on.  The more you apply, the more orange you will look. However, it did stay on my face for the entire day, so it is relatively long-wearing.

As one would expect from a tinted moisturizer, this does not cling to dry patches, which I was happy about, nor does it go patchy.  I did feel like my skin was being hydrated when I wore this, however it takes a long time to sink in and I could definitely feel it on my skin.

Final Verdict
I really wanted to like this product.  I love the brand and what they stand for and how they create their products.  But this isn't a favourite for me.  What really put me off was how oily this made me.  I like a moisturizer that sinks into the skin and this sat on top and made me greasy.  Now, I did use this a few times after the initial first impression, and if you use a TINY bit, it lessens the oiliness.  However, it still makes you oily and sticky , no matter how much you use.

I also don't believe this will match most skin tones.  Maybe it's because I'm so pale, but it doesn't match mine and I know plenty of people with my skin tone.

I will definitely be using this, simply because I don't want to waste it, but I will be wearing it with plenty of powder, most likely for short periods of time, in the summer when I have more colour.  I do think if my skin was better this would look better, so I wouldn't recommend this for people with uneven skin tone or other problems.

All in all, I would give this a pass.  I wouldn't recommend it to you as readers.  However, if you do have it, you can make the most of it.  It just takes a little bit of work.
xoxo Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment