Tuesday, 17 June 2014

Tutorial Tuesday: A Pop of Colour

Hello and welcome back!

I'm going to do a full-face tutorial today, and it's a good 'un!

I have been wearing this exact eye look so much already this summer, because I love how neutral it is.  What makes this look one of my favourites though is the lips.  You can honestly do any type of bold lip colour with this, and I have always been a lip person, rather than an eyes person.

So, let's hope right in!

Don't worry, I fix the hair!
For the face, you always want to start with moisturized skin.  I let it sit for about 10 minutes, maybe gather up all your products, before going in with foundation.


For foundation, I used the Real Techniques expert face brush and the L'Oreal True Match Super Blendable foundation and spent a good amount of time buffing this into the skin to get an even, flawless coverage.  This has SPF in it, which means it is great for summer, but it also isn't too heavy on the skin.


For concealer, I actually use 3 different ones for this look.  Under my eyes, I use the Covergirl Fresh Complexion under eye concealer, mixed with the Maybelline Fit Me concealer.  The Covergirl one oxidizes nicely to cover, but I do find it a little thin, so I mix it with the Maybelline concealer, which is very yellow-toned, and helps conceal the DARK purple I have under my eyes.  To blend this in, I use the flat base of a soft sponge and a gentle dabbing motion.


The third concealer I use is the Maybelline Lumi-Touch and I use this in a sort of sideways J shape along my cheekbones to highlight, but it also gives a little bit of extra coverage to hide the redness I have there.  I then use this on my forehead, nose, chin, and cupid's bow to, again, highlight.  To blend it in, I use the Real Techniques expert face brush again.

I'm going to let all of that set a little bit and move onto the eyes now.


On the lid, I always use an eyeshadow primer.  The Rimmel Exaggerate Undercover eye primer is okay, I don't find it does what it promises. I only ever use it with my MAC shadows, because any other ones will crease, despite using this.

On the lid: All That Glitters
          Left pan: Mythology              Right pan: All That Glitters
With shadows, I keep it very simple and only use MAC Mythology or All That Glitters.  Mythology is a rose-gold shade, and I quite like it but it doesn't work with as many lip-colours as All That Glitters, so choose according to what you want to put on your lips.  Today I used All That Glitters.


For eyeliner, I always line my waterline with the Rimmel Kohl Kajal in nude, and use the L'Oreal Lineur Intense in Carbon Black to create a thin line along the lashes with a tiny flick to just enhance my eye shape.


Then comes mascara.  Currently I've got the Rimmel Retro Glam mascara in black, but use whatever you prefer!


Back to skin now.  This is the only look where I like a dewy finish, I usually don't like anything less than perfectly matte.  Thus, I am only using a tiny bit of powder on my forehead between my brows, my nose and under-eyes to set my concealer, and on my chin.  You can see where I place my powder in the above picture.


For bronzer, I think I have finally found a good one.  It's the Rimmel Natural Bronzer, and I use shade 21 because I am so fair.  I use this to contour ever so slightly on my cheeks, then on the edges of my face and my nose and forehead to give a little bit more colour to my face.  Because you couldn't see the bronzer in the photo, I have given a diagram of sorts to show where I placed it.


Finally, I finish up with the Wet n Wild blush in Pearlescent Pink.  This gives the perfect flush of colour, but also a nice bit of shimmer.  Some people have said this is similar to NARS Orgasm.  Since I don't own that, I can't say for sure, but it is very nice!  It doesn't show up nearly as well on camera, but you get the idea!

So that's the face done!  You can totally wear this on it's own with natural lips if you want to, it is a great every-day kind of look for summer.  But if you want a bolder lip try...

Click to enlarge
I am so happy with how this turned out, for once I think a tutorial in pictures looks as good as in person!  I hope you enjoy this too, let me know what you think in the comments!
xoxo Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment