Saturday, 21 June 2014

Babbling Book Reviews: This House Is Haunted

Hello everyone!

Have you ever read a book and loved it so much you just want to share it with everyone? I just finished one of those, and so I thought I'd do a review in case it might interest some of you!

These aren't going to be a regular feature, but from time to time, if I find a good book, I'll post a review and share my love for it with you all!

This House Is Haunted- John Boyne


If any of you have read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, you'll already be familiar with John Boyne.  I adored that book, it made me sob.  This book is no exception.  Boyne is a fantastic writer, giving his readers the full scope of human emotions through words alone.

This House Is Haunted is set in the mid 19th century, and centers around a young woman named Eliza Caine (symbolism perhaps?).  After he father's death, Eliza is hired as a governess for two children, and goes to live with them.  Upon arrival, she realizes that she has been hired by the previous governess, who has since fled, and the parents are no where to be found.

Throughout the story, Eliza untangles the web of lies, mystery, and concealment to discover what happened to the  children's parents.  All the while, supernatural happenings are occurring all around her, malicious in intent and nearly taking her life more than once.

This book is incredible.  It's one that I couldn't put down, and I haven't read something this attention-grabbing in ages. There are some plot twists that you can predict, but I don't think Boyne's intent is to deceive on these.  Without going into too much detail and spoiling it, the plot twists will keep you reading until the last page, and even there a single word will send a chill down your spine.

As far as books go, this one is a definite must-read.  John Boyne yet again does not disappoint with this action-packed, thrilling adventure of a woman who doesn't know what she's getting herself into, and ends up getting into things a lot deeper than she could have ever imagined.

I hope this has inspired you to go read this book.  I cannot rate this enough, I loved it!

If you would like to see more of these, leave a comment below, and feel free to leave me book recs too! I'm on summer holidays, so I've got plenty of time to read!
xoxo Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment