Friday, 23 May 2014

Haul: Fun Colours and Essentials

Why hello there!

I did a naughty bit of shopping the other day for some fun Spring makeup and picked up a few essentials on the way.  I thought I'd give you guys a little peek into what I bought.  Enjoy!

(Also: There's a skincare haul coming in a few days, stay tuned for that!)


One of the first things I picked up was this HUGE makeup palette from Shopper's Drugmart.  I was actually in there to buy milk for my mom, but I have wanted a palette of bright, fun colours for awhile.  However, I'm not one to wear said colours so I didn't want to drop a lot of money on them.  The palette was in a discount bin and said it was $10.99.  However, when I got to the counter, it was actually $3! I even asked if it was a mistake, but it wasn't! This was a steal, and I've already used some of the shadows.  There are 16 cream shades and 60 powders, all in beautiful colours.  The only colour this is really missing is a yellow.  There are also 6 blushers, 4 pressed powders, and 17 lip glosses, but other than the blushers I doubt I'll get much use out of the rest.  Regardless, it was still worth the money just for the shadows alone!


I then picked up two of Revlon's new eyeshadows, the ones that click together (shadowlinks?).  I bought a gold from Shopper's when I bought the palette and it worked out to $3.99 before taxes.  The silver shade I got from Walmart and it was $3.34 after taxes, so I'd recommend buying them there if you can.  I want to do a full review of these shadows, and plan on buying a few more to do so. (I did a tutorial this week with these colours.  See it HERE.)


I picked up one other thing from Walmart when I bought the eyeshadow, and it was the Maybelline Baby Lips Dr. Rescue in the shade Coral. I love the Baby Lips and thought I'd give this a go.  I do like it, maybe not as much as the mint one I usually use, but it's nice.  It's great for sore lips.  One thing thought, you can definitely tell by the scent that it's medicated.  It's kind of minty (?).  If you don't like this, I recommend you stick to the normal Baby Lips.  These are about $3.50- $4 at Walmart if you want to pick one up, same price as the electro line and the normal line.

Focus... why?
A few days later I was back, surprise surprise, and bought the Covergirl professional loose powder. I am in need of a new powder, one with a bit fuller coverage as I don't like to wear foundation as much in warmer months so I'm hoping this fits the bill.  It was around $6 so for the price I think it will be worth it even if it isn't as much coverage as I want.


I also bought the new Exaggerate Undercover shadow primer from Rimmel.  I've had my eyes on this for awhile, and couldn't resist.  I don't know why, but when I swatch shadows look great and bold, but die on my eyelids.  Hopefully this does what it promises and amps up the colours.  This was also around the $6 mark.


Now, from Winners I made a cheeky little brush purchase to fill in some gaps in my collection.  I don't own a lot of brushes actually, I have a list of ones I still need.  Anyway, I got a fluffy blending brush that looks very similar to the MAC 224.  Luckily, it was much cheaper than the 224, coming in at $7.  It's from a brand called IMAN, which I haven't heard of before.  This brush is really nice and soft, not very dense, and great for blending.

I also got a smudging/pencil brush.  I love the colour of this, it matches my Real Techniques brushes.  It's not as soft as the other brush, but it's very dense and will be great for putting shadows under the eye.  This was only $5 and from a brand called Creme.  I love buying my brushes at Winners, they're almost always great quality and for excellent prices.  I always look for the Real Techniques brushes when I'm there and usually find some too!

My final purchase was from Rexal, and I will admit now I went completely overboard and this was essentially an impulse buy.
With and without flash
I've been loving my Rimmel Kohl Kajal liner, it's  absolutely amazing.  So I decided I would try a few more from the collection.  I bought one in Light Blue and the other in Silver.  What I love about these is that they're creamy and pigmented but also waterproof so they stay put all day.  The one I have, Nude, stays on my waterline all day without budging.  I think these would look amazing traced just over the edge of black winged liner for a pop of colour this spring, or even under the waterline, again as a little pop of colour.

The third liner is a black waterproof liner from Annabelle.  I love these, I have one in the colour Brownie, which I've raved about before.  I needed a black that wouldn't smudge when I put it on my tight line and waterline, so this was my choice.  Partially because they were sold out of the black Kohl Kajal, not gonna lie.  But Annabelle and Rimmel are my favourite brands for eyeliner, so I couldn't go wrong!

AAAAAAAND that's it! Some of these were little essentials and some were things to revamp my makeup collection for a new season.  I hope you enjoyed! Leave a comment with your favourite or new Spring items!
xoxo Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment