Friday, 18 April 2014

Recipe: Healthy Tropical Breakfast Smoothie

Hello everyone!

This has fast become one of my favourite recipes.  I am far from a morning person, and I usually skip breakfast if I'm being honest.  I started eating two eggs every morning when I was in school, but I've moved away from eggs and gone towards having a smoothie instead.  You can switch them up every morning depending on the fruits you use, and they can be so healthy if you want them to be.

Here is my current favourite smoothie recipe.  If you like this, I might do more in the future so comment below if you want to see that happen!

Ingredients

Medium-sized naval orange
Frozen mango pieces
1 overripe banana
Low-fat vanilla Greek yoghurt
Kale leaves
Skim milk (or whatever milk substitute you prefer)


Start by juicing the orange.  A trick for this is to roll it on the counter with the flat of you palm, pressing down to release the juices better.  This goes straight into the blender.


Next, wash about 1/4 cup of kale and rip it into smaller pieces before putting it into the blender.


Next comes fruit.  I used about 3/4 cup of frozen mango cubes and 1 banana broken into chunks.  This would also be good with less mango and peaches or pineapple chucks substituted for the rest.


I then added a large spoonful of ground chia.  I recommend using ground chia, not the whole seeds.  Chia is so good for you, it contains healthy omega-3s, fiber, calcium, manganese (which is important for healthy bones), phosphorous, protein, and no carbohydrates.


Finally, I add 1/2 cup of skim milk and 1/2 cup low fat vanilla Greek yoghurt.  This keeps the fat down but adds that smooth texture a smoothie should have.  You can add any other type of milk-substitute, such as vanilla almond milk, if you don't want to add cow's milk.


All you have to do now is whip it up to a smooth consistency in the blender and whack it into a glass. It's a strange light green colour from the kale, but I promise you can't taste it, even though you're getting all of the healthy benefits it provides!  I cannot rave about this enough, you have got to try it!


I hope you enjoyed this kind of post, comment below if you want to see more healthy recipes
in the future.  If you liked this, try checking out my healthy quinoa chili recipe!
xoxo Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment