Wednesday, 23 April 2014

First Impression: Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm

Hello everyone!

Recently I found myself in need of not only a  facial cleanser but an eye makeup remover as well.  I decided to take a chance on a new product and splurged on the Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm.  I do believe in spending a little bit more on daily facial care so I didn't mind shelling out a little bit more for this, especially since I have only heard good things about it.
Moving = no camera to take my own quality pictures.  Courtesy of Google Images.
What Is It?
The Clinique website says that this is a: "lightweight makeup remover [that] quickly dissolves tenacious eye and face makeups, [and] sunscreens. Transforms from a solid balm into a silky oil upon application. Cleans thoroughly, rinses off completely. Non-greasy. Non-drying. Ophthalmologist Tested. For all skin types."

To use this, you massage a small amount over DRY skin and rinse with warm water.  I have heard most people who use this say that a soft flannel is a really nice way to take this off.  I personally used a soft face cloth.

Review

When I rate products, I consider three things.  First is packaging and appearance, second is price, and third is performance.


Packaging
I really like the packaging for this.  I love the colour purple, so even though it's plastic packaging it's still a winner.  The container itself is very sturdy, good in case you drop things (like me), and I love the silver lid. It makes it feel expensive.  I'm a sucker for nice packing, and this just looks nice to me.  I don't mind having this sit out on my bathroom counter.

The product is also completely non-offensive. It's a pretty, pure white, and has zero odour which is a HUGE bonus in my books.

Price
This retails for $35 before taxes at The Bay, where I bought mine, and also at Sephora.  Considering it works as both an eye makeup remover and a cleanser, I think this is fairly priced.  Depending on what you use, both of those products could come close to this price. I would say this is definitely a higher priced product, but for the amount you use per cleanse (about the size of 3 peas) it will last for ages.

Performance
Just for you guys I took some really sketchy bathroom selfies with my phone for this (why oh why did I take my camera home?!).  I hope you appreciate it.


To use this, I took the amount shown above on my cheeks and nose and rubbed it in, then took the same amount for my forehead and eye makeup.

This melts into an oil immediately upon being massaged into my skin and felt so soft and silky without feeling greasy in the slightest.  It broke up my foundation beautifully, and I was even wearing a decent primer.  It took no time at all to have my skin clean.

The only time I get happy about having panda eyes!
For my eyes, I was wearing a massive amount of mascara, but all I had to do was massage this onto my eyes and rub it into my lashes.  With very minimal fuss it got off all of my mascara, a task even my favourite eye makeup remover sometimes has difficulties with.  The best part is it doesn't sting your eyes at all, I had no problems with it being near my eye area.


Look! Clean skin!

Experience
I would also like to mention my experience at the Clinique counter when I bought this product, since that can really influence how much I like a product (that's not from the drugstore).  The woman who helped me was SO NICE!  She helped me find the balm, explained what it did, and was all-around incredibly friendly (and not patronizing, which I sometimes find people at counters can be when dealing with younger people).  She also asked me if she could match me to a foundation and showed me which one would work best for me should I decide to try it, but she wasn't pushy.  I find that so off-putting!  Finally, she gave me a sample of the foundation for me to try myself, and a sample of the Acne Solutions Clinical Clearing Gel, which I am going to test out to see if it can fix my occasional breakouts.

So I would like to thank Julie at the Clinique counter in The Bay at Conestoga Mall for being so amazing and making my little purchase into a very positive experience!

Final Verdict
I think I might be in love with this product, honestly.  It cleansed my skin so nicely, it was non-greasy, and my skin didn't feel tight after.  I didn't even feel like I needed to use a moisturizer after! (Don't worry, I still did!)  This is on the pricier side, but you don't need much to cleanse your whole face and it does the job of two products in one.  This lived up to the hype and Clinique's claims, and I completely understand why this is such a cult beauty item.

I give this product a solid 10/10 and highly suggest you go get it!

I hope you found this helpful! Let me know in the comments if you have used this and what your thoughts are!
xoxo Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment