Tuesday, 31 December 2013

Best of Beauty 2013!

The New Year is upon us! Wahoo!

Tonight is going to be a busy blog night! I have so many posts to bang out that I haven't had time for over recent days, so get ready for the flood!

Photo before editing courtesy of weheartit.com
First up is my Best of Beauty- 2013 Edition.  I'm hoping to make this a yearly thing, so let me know in the comments what you think!  

This year I really discovered makeup.  I had worn it before but it was either for dance, or was very basic (disregard the time in Grade 10 where I wore turquoise eye shadow and thought that was cool...)  So 2013 was a lot of experimenting on my part with different brands and types of makeup.

My favourite foundation of the year was undoubtedly the Rimmel Wake Me Up foundation.  I like this so much I bought a second bottle for my winter skin tone.  It covers very well, lasts all day, and really does wake up your complexion.  I haven't bought the concealer that goes with this but I think I will in the New Year.  I think this is just an amazing product, almost cult-worthy.

For concealer, I have been loving the Rimmel Match Perfection and the Maybelline Lumi Touch Highlighting concealer.  I just bought the Maybelline one recently, but I find I have been reaching for it more than the Rimmel one.  However, for most of the year I have been using the Rimmel concealer so to leave it out would be a lie.  They are both amazing concealers, and they both act as highlighters too.  I never find they go cakey and they do conceal really well.  Both can be built up for better coverage too, which is great for the dark purple circles under my eyes.


My favourite powder in 2013 has most definitely been the Maybelline Dream Matte powder.  I used to use Physician's Formula, and never thought to try anything else until my bank balance was looking dire.  The Maybelline powder is very different, and for that reason I was skeptical about it, but I ADORE it.  It is amazing at mattifying your skin and lasts all day.  It is great for setting foundation or concealer, but I had also just put it  over bare skin to keep from getting shiny.  I just hit pan on mine, so it does last a long time, and it's only something like $8!

Next up: blush.  This is a product I almost left out because I have tried so many and never really been enthralled with any of them.  I have used half a dozen different blushes this year and I just haven't found one that makes me scream "WOW" or even something I will be repurchasing.  The closest would be the Wet N Wild blushes, which are super pigmented and under $4.  They are a great value for your money, but unfortunately only come in three shades.  In 2014 I will be trying out a lot more blushes, that's for sure!

Moving on to eyes, I have to pick All The Glitters from MAC as my favourite eye shadow of 2013, with no competition.  It is a great all-round shade and so versatile.  All over the lid with a black winged eye liner or with a darker colour in the crease, this is the perfect eye shadow and I am so glad I purchased it, despite the price.  It was worth every single penny.

Eye liner is another product I haven't been super happy with.  I kept faithful to my Annabelle eye pencil in Brownie, as I have for a good three years, but the only new discovery I made (and liked) would be my Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel eye liner.  I love this product, it lasts all day and doesn't smudge.  I'm not a fan of the brush that comes with it but I do like it as a lip brush (go figure).  I highly recommend that gel liner if you want to try one, drugstore gel liners are difficult to find.  I am also beginning to like gel liners better than pencil or liquid liners, so I have a feeling I will be purchasing another one of those soon...

For mascara, I choose the Maybelline Volum Express Falsies Big Eyes.  This has a brush for you bottom and top lashes, and lengthens and thickens to a point where it looks like you're wearing false lashes (it really does!)  It can be a little smudgy, especially the older it gets, so watch out for that.  I would say this mascara is comparable to the Lancome Hypnose mascaras, which I am also a huge fan of (but they are REALLY smudgy if you aren't careful.)

And the last favourite I have for you all is lipsticks and glosses.  I have a couple in this category.  I really love the Rimmel Apocalips, I think they're fabulous and am going to purchase more once they are on sale.  I also love the Maybelline Colour Sensational lipsticks, and the Superstay 10 Hour Stain Glosses.  There are a wide range of colours for these, and they are all amazing products with staying power.  Try them out, I promise you won't be disappointed!

That is all for me, stay tuned for another post later on! It will be a Christmas Goodies post, which I really hope you will all enjoy!  That one will have a lot more pictures, I promise! (If it doesn't make it out tonight, check back tomorrow!)

Happy New Year everyone!
xoxo Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment