Monday, 4 November 2013

Maybelline Makeup Collection

In my area, Maybelline is one of the biggest displays in any drugstore you walk into.  Unless the store does its cosmetics alphabetically, Maybelline is usually close to the front because everyone wants it.

I've gone through my fair share of Maybelline products, and I though that for those of you who haven't tried it out, I would make a little post for you.

Disclaimer: This is a quick post because I still don't have my camera at Uni and I've been planning a BIG EXCITING post for next week, so this is just a little tide-me-over until that's done.

All photos from maybelline.ca

The first product to talk about is I've had for awhile, the Maybelline Dream Matte powder for your face.  I accidentally bought this, I meant to buy the Rimmel Stay Matte powder that Tanya Burr over on YouTube talks about in her videos, but mucked up in the store and bought this instead.

I will admit, I wasn't a huge fan when I first bought it.  I was transitioning from an extremely loose, chalky powder that I'd been using for years and this one is much more solid.  However, I quickly caught on and have come to really like this.  Now it's the only powder I use and my face and wallet thank me (it was about $8 from Wal-Mart).

I really like this powder.  It does exactly what it says it will do and keeps your face shine-free all day.  I often use it on my bare skin if I'm having a lazy day or just popping out for a couple minutes so I don't look too oily.    The powder is fairly solid, so less is wasted when you use it, and there isn't that annoying 'dust' all over the place (i.e. floor, outfit) after you've applied it to your face. It also has pretty good coverage. As a product, I give this a big ol' thumbs up!


I have tried two Maybelline mascaras and here's where I'm less complimentary.

The Rocket mascara
The Rocket mascara was horrible.  I just need to say it.  I have dabbled in many mascaras, and this was probably the worst yet.  I was really disappointed because my best friend Kelly had recommended this to me, and my mom used the Maybelline Great Lash mascara since she was in high school, but I really hated this.  I didn't like the formula, I found it sticky and waxy and it NEVER came off (even though I didn't buy the waterproof one, as is pictured above).  I also didn't like the brush.  It is a plastic brush, so automatically it was never going to be my favourite, but it wasn't that effective.  My eyelashes just looked clumpy, not longer.  I also found the brush itchy when I used it because it is basically dozens of sharp spikes.  I used this for a while but ended up throwing it out before it was anywhere near finished, it was that bad.

Falsies Big Eyes mascara
Next up: Falsies Big Eyes mascara.  Thank God I liked this mascara.  Even after the traumatic Rocket, I still tried another formula, again because Tanya Burr had recommended it.  And it is everything she promised and more! This formula is much better.  It goes on the lash really well, not clumpy, and comes off nicely with makeup remover and a cotton pad.  That being said, it stays put all day.  This can be bought with only one brush, but I bought the duo.  The first brush is for your top lashes and it lengthens and thickens (I'm serious, it does and amazing job.)  I really like the bottom brush, however, because it is so unusual.  I don't think I've ever seen a mascara where there are two brushes.  I especially love that the bottom brush can thicken and lengthen or do one or the other.  I personally don't like my bottom lashes longer, just thicker, and it does an amazing job.

Bonus points to this one for having a bristle brush.  I'm not really sure if that's what you call it... fiber brush? Regardless.  It's synthetic but not plastic and the little hairs are teeny tiny so do a better job of getting between the lashes and keeping them from clumping.  $9 from Wal-Mart (can you tell where I shop the most?)

Maybelline Bouncy blush.  Not the colour I bought, but you get the idea.
On to cheeks now with the Bouncy Blush.  Another product I'm not keen on, but that's partially my own fault.  I bought a shade I'm not super fond of, and I'm not sure if it compliments me.  But there are a few other flaws with the product.

First, application is very difficult.  You can spread it on with your finger but it isn't very blendable, and a brush doesn't solve that problem.  I found it dried chalky and came off very easily.  If you have dry skin, I'm not sure I'd recommend this to you because it emphasizes dry spots, especially after it has settled in and dried a bit.

Second, the colour range is a bit strange.  I feel like the colours they have are not very useful for the majority of people, making it very difficult to get a shade that is suitable for your skin tone.

I could talk more about the product's flaws, but because I didn't like the colour I bought I don't think I should.  If I had a better colour, or a better colour for me, I might have liked it better.  That being said, I bought a very pale pink with a bit of shimmer, and I use it as a high-lighter at the tops of my cheekbones just above my usual blush to give me a bit of a glow.

While I didn't hate this product, I won't be repurchasing, and I have a feeling it will dry out before I use it up. If you do want to try it, it's about $7 from Wal-Mart.

Maybelline Fit Me blush
This blush I have really enjoyed, even though I cheated on the colour a little bit (my shade is apparently a more light link tone but I like the darker plums better).  I bought the shade Deep Rose and I thoroughly enjoy it.  It goes on well, is super blendable, and nicely buildable.  You do generally have to build it as I find it doesn't go on very well (it isn't as pigmented as it looks).  The little brush that comes with it isn't that great for putting on blush, but I have used it to blend my concealer and apply powder under my eyes to set my concealer.  It's a fiber brush and is VERY soft, it's just not very useful for this product (that being said, it can be used for other things so don't throw it out!)

At only $8, go and buy this blush! There are so many shade to choose form, guaranteed everyone can find at least one that will 'Fit' them.

ColourSensational Lipcolour
On to lipsticks now! I have four of the ColourSensational Lipcolours and I love them! I have the one pictured above actually, Electric Orange from their Vivids line.  I love the way these feel on the lip. They go on so soft and they feel very moisturizing.  I have very dry lips, so I do find that it 'settles' so to speak, but another quick swipe usually solves the problem.  I don't find that it dries out my lips, and it stays on for a good amount of time.  

In buying this product, it would be a lie to say I wasn't enticed my the packaging.  I love that the general colour of the packaging is the colour of the lipstick (so reds are in red packaging, browns are in brown, etc.)  The packaging also doesn't feel cheap, unlike other drugstore products.  It also looks nice!

I highly recommend these, I wear them all the time.  I have a couple nudes I use on the daily and a few vivids to keep things interesting. And they're only $8 so I can have tons of colours and not break the bank!

Colour Whisper Lipcolour in Some Like it Taupe
These are also great, highly impressed.  I bought this exact colour to wear over a ColourSensational lipstick for my commencement and it was really soft.  It almost feels like butter but not as greasy.  I'm not too sure about it being hydrating, but it was a very smooth, sheer product.  I'm not sure what else to say about this.  I really liked it and will probably purchase more.  They are quite sheer and great for every day use, but maybe not bold enough for a party (the reds won't give you much of a pop).  I do recommend them though, and they cost only $8.

Baby Lips Lipbalm in Peppermint 010.  Mine is already half used up!
 Get ready for this.  I am about to go fan-girl on all yo' faces.

These.  Are.  The. Best.  You will never understand how much I love these unless you try them.  The Maybelline Baby Lips were a huge fad at my high school, and I never understood until I bought one on a whim (it was on sale, so sue me).
Flavour Cherry me 015
 All of the pictures are of the ones I own.  The peppermint flavour is by far my favourite and the one I have used the most.  It has no tint to it, so it is great for every day use, and for putting on before bed to make your lips nice and hydrated the next morning.  I also use it before starting my dialy makeup so that by the time i get to lipstick my lips are ready but I don't have to worry about them being tinted.

The different types really do taste good, and they taste/smell of exactly what they say. The cherry one is probably the best smelling.  What I really like is that they give a little bit of tint while still being super hydrating, unlike most lipsticks.
Peach Kiss 030.  The first one I ever bought.
 The formula on these is amazing.  They are incredibly hydrating, even better than the EOS balms which I was (and still am to some degree) obsessed with.  These are just that little bit better, both on formula and in the packaging (the EOS are kind of awkward to use).  There are plenty of shades to choose from as well which means there is something for everyone, even an unflavoured/unscented one.
Strike a Rose 95
For those who want a nice pop of bright colour, there is also the Electro line which has some seriously vivid shades.

These are medicated lipbalms that are designed to heal your lips.  They do a fantastic job and are an all-round amazing product that is worth whatever you spend on them.  I know they are about $6 at Shoppers Drugmart, and $4 at Wal-Mart (both depending on the store, location, and possible sales).  Regardless, they are amazing and I would encourage anyone and everyone to give them a try.

EyeStudio Lasting Drama gel Eyeliner in Blackest Black 950
Here then is the final Maybelline product review I have for you. This is the first gel eyeliner I have ever tried, and I really like it.  It isn't matte, and has a very subtle sparkle in the formula which gives a little bit of drama without being too glittery.  It goes on really well, doesn't dry out too quickly, and stays on for longer than most pencil and liquid liners.   It also dries quickly when it's put on.

This eyeliner wasn't too expensive, only about $10, so it's wallet friendly, especially because it lasts for ages.  I don't like the brush that comes with it, but that's just me.  I know there are people out there who love that kind of brush, it's just not my personal preference.  The brush is of good quality though, and I use it as a lip brush instead.  I highly recommend this gel eyeliner for anyone who is on a budget but wants a good quality liner.

I hope you all found this informative and helpful for when you're considering the Maybelline display in your local shops.  Obviously, as with any brand, there are a few misses, but for the most part its a good quality, consistent product that I enjoy.  I won't stop using the brand, especially the Baby Lips lipbalms which are fantastic!  And I definitely want to try more products, especially the Colour Tattoo pigments.

Are there any other brands you would like me to review products from? Leave a comment below and let me know, or just tell me your favourite products and brands! <3

1 comment:

  1. Try the maybelline colour tattoo cream eye shadows. They blend really nicely.

    ReplyDelete